Skip to main content

The non-polarizing speech President Biden should have given

Opinion The non-polarizing speech President Biden should have given https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/02/democracy-speech-biden-should-have-given/ By Alexandra Petri My fellow Americans. I am the president of the United States ... maybe! To those of you who believe that although we have differences, we are still one nation, and to those of you who believe that I am spearheading a complicated, Satan-driven, child-snatching conspiracy with very detailed logistics that I can’t say I fully comprehend, I wish you equally a great Thursday! I am not here to give anybody a hard time. To those of you who say that violence is never the answer, and to those of you who say that violence is the answer right now, I say, Yup! This is a nation, after all, that honors the Constitution. Or doesn’t, if it doesn’t feel like it! Who am I to say who’s wrong and who is right? Maybe the president, but maybe just some guy! There is an election coming up. I think, and a lot of Americans do too, that for our democracy to continue, we need to accept the results of that election, even if our side loses. Other Americans agree: They will accept the results of the election if my side loses. That’s common ground, I think! We can build on that. Or not, if people don’t want to. I was planning to come out in favor of democracy and accepting the results of elections even when they don’t go our way, and to say that those MAGA Americans who want to install Donald Trump as some sort of consequence-free, god-king-for-life are doing something bad, but I was told that would alienate a lot of people, so, instead, I want to take that time to just stare intensely out at the audience for a solid minute. ... Yay King Trump! To those of you trying to take away people’s rights and those of you fighting to preserve them: Keep going! To those of you who want to treat some people in this country as less than full citizens, and to those who think that’s terrifyingly wrong, I see you both and celebrate you both equally! So I say to everyone, to the people working to get out the vote and the people working to undermine the entire concept of voting, good work! We have had a democracy for a while, which I personally would like to keep, but some people seem to want us to try something new, and that could be ... fine! Maybe 235 years is a good stopping point. Greg Sargent: MAGA Republicans are seething because Biden hit his target I was going to criticize the people who are trying to thwart the will of the voters and who, earlier, wanted to stop the peaceful transfer of power, but then I thought, that would be needlessly divisive. Probably they are some very fine people! Indeed, I might go so far as to say, “I love you, and you’re very special!” I am sorry I got mad that some of you tried to storm the Capitol. It was patriotic, actually. What is tearing this country apart is people who dare to criticize that sort of thing, not people who dare to do that sort of thing. I am sorry that I said your behavior was a little creepy and that it would be bad to have fascism here. That was made to sound like I oppose fascism, whereas in fact I am neutral about it, because I do not want to polarize or divide. Off the subject of democracy, which I can see is polarizing and dividing a lot of you here, maybe there’s something else we can agree on. I think it would be good to work together to repair the infrastructure and build bridges! But in the interest of not being polarizing, maybe we should burn those bridges instead! Two equally valid things to do with a bridge, and not my place to choose.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big List

www.myheritage.com/deep-nostalgia Tom Greenwood (310) 947-1030 Republicans possess an absolute presumption of moral and intellectual superiority, a grim self-righteousness, a hardened defiance to any challenge that their fascist white supremacist "Christian" ideology is the only truth. Stewart Rhodes said, "Just the same as the founders did, they exhausted all their peaceful means, but they also rallied more people to the cause, won more people over and steeled them up and hardened them, got them ready for the confrontation. That's what we have to do." ☝️πŸ‘ˆπŸ‘‡πŸ‘‰ 🀷🏼‍♂️ πŸš—πŸš“πŸš•πŸ›ΊπŸš™πŸšŒπŸšπŸšŽπŸš‘πŸš’πŸššπŸš›πŸšœπŸš˜πŸš”πŸš–πŸšπŸ¦½πŸ¦ΌπŸ›ΉπŸš²πŸ›΄πŸ›΅πŸ 🎻The five stages of grief are: denial. anger. bargaining. depression. acceptance. 2016: "You lost, get over it" πŸŽƒ πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ President Joe Biden πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ USA! USA! USA! Biden won by 7 million votes nationwide (81,268,924) Biden won 51 percent of the popular vote, a larger percentage than any Democrat since 1964, save Barack Obama's victo...

Why Is Robert F. Kennedy Jr. So Convinced He’s Right?

Why Is Robert F. Kennedy Jr. So Convinced He’s Right? 300+The Atlantic by Michael Scherer / Nov 23, 2025 at 6:30 PM 6 Companies View All Photographs by Elinor Carucci Robert F. Kennedy Jr. somehow knew, even as a little boy, that fate can lead a person to terrible places. “I always had the feeling that we were all involved in some great crusade,” Kennedy once wrote, “that the world was a battleground for good and evil, and that our lives would be consumed in that conflict.” He was 9 years old when his uncle was assassinated and 14 when his father suffered the same fate. I happened to be sitting next to him this fall when he learned that his friend Charlie Kirk had been shot. We were on an Air National Guard C-40C Clipper en route from Chicago to Washington, D.C., and one of Kennedy’s advisers, her eyes filling with tears, whispered the news in his ear. “Oh my God,” he said. National Guard stewards handed out reheated chicken quesadillas, which Kennedy declined in favor of the quart of ...

Trump’s Dreadful Peace Plan for Ukraine

Trump’s Dreadful Peace Plan for Ukraine The Atlantic by Phillips Payson O’Brien / Nov 21, 2025 at 4:38 AM For all the recent talk about Donald Trump growing more sympathetic toward Ukraine, and of the president being more willing to pressure Russia for concessions, nothing of the sort turned out to be true. According to multiple news outlets, Trump has blessed a 28-point plan to end the war between the two countries. The plan was negotiated by his envoys in conjunction with a top Vladimir Putin confidant. The deeply troubling details now circulating show what Trump wants: to help the Russian president—who started the war by launching an unprovoked invasion in 2022—and to weaken Ukraine, perhaps fatally. The Trump administration has not yet made the terms of its proposal public. According to news reports, Ukraine would have to cede more land to Russia—including all of Donetsk and Luhansk provinces—than the Russians have been able to conquer to this point. The Ukrainian armed forces w...